Friday, August 27, 2010

BABAGANOUSH

So yesterday was a normal day foodwise not cheap but definately healthy!
Breakfast
Splurged on an ice coffee in the morning- splurging for me is $2 from the awesome cafe on the corner.. Starbucks was cut out a long time ago :(
Banana
Lunch
Went out with friends at NY Lunchbox and got 2 sushi rolls - Spicy salmon avocado and tuna avocado.. I highly recomend their sushi rolls bc they are huge and filling (8 pieces per roll) and 9 bucks for 2! Cheap in the kosher world!
Dinner
After a random trip where we stumbled upon Fairway in Paramus (where I stocked up on Australian licorice and organic treats) I came home and made fajitas.
I had never made these before and kind of winged it. Sauteed sliced onion and yellow and orange pepper added strips of pepper steak, chili powder, paprika, and salt/pepper. Chopped up some tomatoes and red onion and wrapped it all in these soft tacos (Fairway). Delicious .. my only regret was not having the energy to wash the bigger frying pan to make more.. next time.

I realized that it was Thursday night and I needed to cook for Shabbat.. so in the theme of cheap and healthy I made my own Babaganoush!! I know it is soo easy and I am honestly embarrased I haven't done it before. I first learnt it was possible when I was in Israel and my "free bird" sister in law made it right in front of me..
So last night I did it and it looks delicious (at least imo):

1 lg eggplant (cut in half and cook on 400 for 45minutes to an hour aka one episode of Dexter :)
2-3 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp Tahini (crushed sesame seeds purchased in Israeli food section)
salt/pepper to taste
EVOO

I roasted the eggplant then scooped out the inside and threw it in a bowl (you can also food processor this but I am not into cleaning the huge contraption). So immersion blended it was! Added all ingredients except the EVOO. Mix it all up and drizzle EVOO in until desired thickness/taste etc.
Voile! ( I think thats how you spell it)

I also made a fantastic beef barley soup this morning before work but I will post soon!

Also this is my first pic on the blog woop woop!

No comments:

Post a Comment