Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Shavuot - 1 month later

A couple of weeks ago it was Shavuot and I made a whole huge menu of "lighter" foods because that holiday can get so super fatnng. On a 3 day holiday I made:
chicken with rice pilaf
roasted peppers
green beans
london broil
roasted onion soup mix potatoes
gefilte fish with tomato sauce
chulent
crunchy pecan cutlets
corn squash loaf
hasselback salami
roasted broccoli
Make your own pizzas
mustard dill salmon
lasagna
roasted asparagus
portabello mushroom quiche
spinach feta quiche
french onion soup
sphaghetti squash quiche
pumpkin craisin muffin

Which when listing seems like a lot but in the grand scheme of things it wasn't bad!

When I served the sphaghetti squash quiche everyone was so excited that it was low fat and low carb and low weight watchers points!

My mother in law originally made this and I just made up my own recipe based on hers:

Asparagus Quiche with a Sphaghetti Squash Crust
1 sphaghetti squash cooked (I just roast and then take out "meat" with a fork)
1 bunch asparagus
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
5 eggs
1 cup milk ( I used whole because it's all I had)
2 cups Natural and Kosher low fat part skim Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
salt and pepper

Sautee onion with garlic and chopped asparagus. In pan squish the sphaghetti quash into the edges like a crust. Mix eggs milk and salt and pepper and whisk together until mixed. Pour into sphaghetti squash crust and pour asparagus mixture into milk layer. Put another layer of cheese on top and cook at 350 until firm.





It appears low fat kosher cheese exists you just need to look for it! I really wish it was more easily available....

No comments:

Post a Comment